<< Back to recent threads

EB1 Retrogression...WHAT?!

Posted by Dean 4 years ago
Why EB1 retrogressed??? It was current in March!

I don't know what's happening. I mean retrogression happens but should end at least in April, right? Why the visa bulletin showed 2016??? Aren't these people have already filed their I-485s?!

This is a shameful scheme by the USCIS to crack down on immigrants, right???
Posted by Theodore 4 years ago

to Dean:

So I kept a track record of EB1 priority date and there's no visa available for two months in 2016 and for four months in 2017. In 2018, visas retrogressed for six months. I think this shows that each year, the number of applicants is about 1.2 times of the number of visas available.
The USCIS sets the priority date in 2016 because they want to make sure there will be enough available visas for future seasons so that at the end of the fiscal year, there will still be visas available.
Basically, the problem is too much demand and too little supply. So the applicants have two choices: 1) they wait 1-2 years in line, no chance to get AP or EAD. 2) they are lucky to file I-485 without retrogression but if visas retrogressed while 485 is pending, then they will have to wait an extra 2-3 years while extending H1B during the waiting period.
Posted by Marvin 4 years ago

to Theodore:

Ok that is helpful.
But do you know when it will return to current again? I mean I want to plan when I can file I-485.
1 - 3 of 3